Hi Craig,

Craig Loftus wrote:
If anyone knows about using cloud-hosting as a mirror, particularly if
you think it is a terrible idea, please speak up now.

I use S3 extensively.  It does "exactly what it says on the tin".

Be sure to create your buckets in the right geographic zone (i.e. EU, which means Dublin). Fixing that later is a bit painful.

I'm a command-line sort of person and I use something called s3cmd to upload. There are lots of other tools including a FireFox extension.

To get bulk data in, I generally use an EC2 instance. For example, I can slurp date from wherever into the EC2 instance, process it a bit, and then slurp it into the S3 bucket all via very fast links. EC2 has a steeper learning-curve than S3, but for those of us for whom the alternative is the upstream bandwidth of our domestic broadband, it's the only sane way to use it.

Feel free to ask on or off-list if you have any questions.

Regards,  Phil.