>> Sorry but I do have to say this. In an area (UK outside of Scotland)
>> where sadly, you're not free to roam where you like, access rights are
>> *absolutely vital detail* for walkers and other users of the countryside
>> and indicating them explicitly where known, either via designation, or
>> foot/horse/bicycle = (designated/yes - the two I consider equivalent),
>> permissive or private is essential. They should only be left out where
>> they are not known.

>Yes, but no. Yes I agree that it's information we should gather, and
>anyone more into this thing than a casual mapper probably should.
>However in order to broaden OSM's appeal we can't demand it at the entry
>level. Particularly if there are no handy buttons for it in Potlatch.

Just to make it clear, I'm not proposing rejecting edits containing designation
tags, or anything like that - just encouraging people to use them where known.

>Most of the general public don't know or care, or just bimble along
>anything with tarmac whether it's marked "footpath" or not.

I can see that in towns, though I have to admit being a little surprised that
out in the country, people aren't
aware of path designations.

>Experts can set additional access tags if they want and need to. IMO the
>full sets for a particular designation are a pain to remember, large,
>demonstrably quite difficult to understand in combination, and easy to
>get wrong.

Only two are really essential, though, I think, highway plus designation.
foot|bicycle|horse=permissive are nice too, to indicate permissive paths,
but not as essential as designation.

Nick