On Sat, 2012-05-12 at 13:02 +0100, Philip Barnes wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-05-12 at 10:00 +0100, Robert Norris wrote:
> >
> > I've added my 2 penneth.
> >
> > Maybe we should gather more samples of signs - e.g. to show differing
> > Councils styles (and then hopefully agreed tagging) to give better
> > guidelines.
> >
> > I've have a look my photos but I think I tend to delete these types of
> > pictures after use.
> >
> > If I remember, next time I'm out walking I may take more such type of
> > pictures.
> >
> > There may some samples on flickr / whatever (with friendly copyrights) we
> > could use.
> >
> They do vary between highway authorities, but well worth getting some
> photos of samples. The one thing waymarks have in common, and I can only
> claim knowledge of England and Wales here is that a public footpath has
> yellow arrows, public bridleways have blue arrows and the hardest to
> find of all are red arrows, used on B.O.T.A.Ts.

I passed an orange BOAT waymarker yesterday morning but didn't bother to
photograph it. Sod's Law that this was the first email I read when I got
home!

> I will get some of Shropshire, Leicestershire and counties inbetween.
> Can also pop over the border and see if see if I can find some
> bi-lingual ones somewhere. Wrexham borough which is very close, use
> symbols with no words.

As people are expressing an interest in collecting examples of their
local waymarking I've started a new wiki page[1] to collate them. I've
kicked things off with the Hants CC waymarkers that I have at home and
will add fingerposts and other signs once I've dug through my photos.

Cheers,

Andy

[1]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/United_Kingdom/Identifying_Rights_of_Way