To: talk-gb@openstreetmap.org, nick.whitel...@solent.ac.uk,
legal-t...@openstreetmap.org
From: Rob Nickerson <rob.j.nicker...@gmail.com>
Date: 08/06/2012 04:27PM
Subject: Follow up : Hampshire Rights of Way Data released under OS OpenData
licence

Hi Nick, All,

Has any contact been made with either Ordnance Survey or Hampshire CC to get
clarity on the use of the Hampshire "OS OpenData"?

Recap of the Issue:
* Hampshire CC : "The data has been published as Open Data under the Ordnance
Survey Open Data Licence". Here the use of "Open Data" seems to be an internal
term that Hants CC use [1]. To me this appears to suggest that they have
contacted Ordnance Survey to check that they can release the data and OS came
back with the suggestion that they use the OS Open Data Licence (it is clear
that the rights of way are not derived from OS OpenData as the resolution is
too high - i.e. very zoomed in)
 * The OS OpenData licence [2] states that it governs access to the data on
OS's website. The Hampshire data is not on the OS website. This wording
therefore looks "bad" but does it, in itself, prevent use of the data in OSM?
 * Ordnance Survey: Have stated that they have "no objections to geodata
derived in part from OS OpenData being released under the Open Database License
1.0."

Thus:
If we take the Ordnance Surveys response to mean they have 'no objections to
geodata derived in part from OS OpenData LICENSED DATA being released under the
Open Database License 1.0.' then we are okay. But, it this one step too far?

Alternatively, we go back to Hampshire and get them to confirm that we can add
this to OSM. We can use OS's quote as supporting evidence.

Regards,
RobJN

[1] http://www3.hants.gov.uk/opendata.htm
 [2]