On 2013-08-21 10:53, Matt Williams wrote:
On 21 August 2013 00:00, OpenStreetmap HADW <osmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've come across a building that provides the sort of facilities that
one might find in some hotels for day time and evening functions
(weddings, posh birthday parties, etc.), but does not have any
overnight accommodation.  It is too commercial/up market for a village
hall type community centre category (I don't believe they'd host local
society meetings or keep fit classes, but without the accommodation,
it doesn't fall into the hotel category, either.  Pubs sometimes
provide this sort of service as well, but this one doesn't take any
walk in trade and and provision and the bar is an optional extra, or
you can go on a corkage basis.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to tag it.

http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=banquet#values suggests
amenity=banquet_hall which makes sense.

If you want to start using it then just go ahead. It would also be
great if you could document the definition of the tag and how it
differs from hotels, pubs etc. at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity=banquet_hall

Banqueting hall seems rather specific.
These types of places may be used for a wide variety of events, so may be known by different names. eg might be used for conferences, exhibition, live music etc.

I think a more generic tag for an "event hall" would be useful.

Craig