Colin Smale wrote:
> Someone needs to stick up for the data consumers; it's not *all*
> about the mappers, and anyway most mappers are not so lazy
> that they can't be bothered to conform to conventions.

As a data consumer I wish people would stop sticking up for me and my kin!

IMX more heartache has been caused by well-meaning attempts to rationalise
tagging "for the data consumers" than by the original tagging
eccentricities. Take the highway=path farrago: I have a whole load of extra
code in my Lua osm2pgsql and OSRM includes just to cope with this. If we'd
stuck with highway=cycleway and highway=footway life would have been much
easier. (Though I should point out that embedded Lua is ridiculously awesome
for this sort of thing.)

Transforming phone numbers from OSM tags into a uniform, international
format is trivial. It's about four lines of regex, I guess, and anyone using
phone numbers for national purposes will need to transform it the other way
anyway. If you can cope with stuff like
http://switch2osm.org/serving-tiles/manually-building-a-tile-server-12-04/
(or OSRM, or whatever you're using) then it's not exactly going to faze you.

By all means tidy up the phone numbers if it's what floats your boat, but
don't kid yourself that it'll make data consumers' life any easier.

cheers
Richard