On 13 September 2013 12:55, Chris Hill <o...@raggedred.net> wrote:
> Why do you suppose OS Streetview is correct? I find that compared to multiple
> GPS tracks it is not always well aligned and more recent Bing imagery is
> often better.

I did consider that possibility, but I did a search for that  and it
came up suggesting StreetView was mostly good to about 1m (although I
can't re-find that reference).  On the other hand, that is a reason
for requiring more evidence before correcting things which assume zero
offset for Bing.

As noted elsewhere on this thread, Bing clearly shows parallax errors,
and it looks like it hasn't been corrected for height variations, at
least not on a local scale.

I don't think I would trust commercial GPS much below 5m unless it was
averaged over at least an hour, with a clear  view of the sky
(reflections off builidngs could systematically distort the position
solution - see http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Accuracy#Systematic_errors).
 Where I've looked into calibrating against GPS I've tended to find
that there are good places that are accurately locatable on Bing where
you can sit with GPS for a long time without looking suspicious, and
which are near to  points of interest and have a clear view of the
sky.

On the other hand, pre-OpenData specifications for StreetView suggest
worst case errors of 4.1m
<www.centremapslive.co.uk/files/street_view_userguide.pdf>, so, maybe
 I'm still going to have to do long averaged GPS calibrations.

That still doesn't mean that unsourced BIng tracings, with zero
offsets are good things.

Fortunately, OSM hasn't been around enough for continental drift to
become a severe problem.  Even the error since 1984 should be less
than about one foot.