Matthijs,

I'm confused by your actions. Yesterday you started the formal process for making an uncontroversial change to the tagging of bookmakers, but since then you have made a series of considerably more controversial edits with no discussion at all. I wish to register my objection to these changes.

You are standardising the tagging for particular brands, removing the original judgements made by mappers who looked at them on the ground. I find it particularly de-motivating when these mass changes strip meaning from my tagging, changing a specific tag to a more general one. I'm not against my tagging being changed through discussion, but distinctions should be kept, even if moved to a sub-tag (e.g. shop=bed versus shop=furniture furniture=bed).

I have other concerns about these sorts of edits:

Are you sure all the shops belonging to a chain sell the same thing and offer the same services? In my experience this isn't always the case. For example, WH Smith at train stations and airports sell a much narrower range than their larger high street stores.

Where you are 'correcting' tagging based just on the name tag, how can you be sure its not an administrative office, distribution depot or something else other than a shop?

Regards,
Will