/me looks forward to the thesis on adding a tagged node to OSM ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: David Woolley [mailto:for...@david-woolley.me.uk]
Sent: 27 November 2014 23:06
To: talk-gb@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] OSM University of Liverpool exercise (or 200 free(ish)
volunteers)

On 27/11/14 14:09, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> Nice initiative! I think adding building outlines is quite useful, and
> has relatively low risk that the students break things (an important

The disadvantage, here, is that it is a vocational type exercise, not an
academic one.  An academic one should include a significant element of mapping
for the database, should involve higher level decisions than needed just for
drawing, and might want to make the students actually consider things like
whether data can legally be used.

Whereas, for a normal new mapper, you don't want to put them in a position
where they need to make complex decisions that they may not appreciate, for an
academic course, you want to give people an appreciation of the need for those
decisions.