As an ex Liverpool Uni student (late 1970s)...

These are 1st years so beginners - not doing theses yet.

However, something that makes them think as well as do can be useful.

The Vaughan & Geddes paper here: http://www.radstats.org.uk/no099/index.htm
gives something to look at in terms of impacts of connectedness and links to
social factors.

Liverpool used to have segregated orange and green (Belfast-style) areas that
were broken up by slum clearance in the 1960s associated with building large
estates on the edge of town (now some in Knowsley).

The physical form of terraces, social housing and more recent housing
association building will reflect these and other changes. As will how bus
routes reflect housing, work etc patterns. Bus route relations may be more
advanced than this course....

http://datashine.org.uk/#zoom=14&lat=53.407&lon=-2.95717&layers=BTTT&table=QS119EW&col=QS119EW0006&ramp=YlOrRd

uses OS buildings but does not go down to high zoom levels.

Filling in buildings in OSM especially in areas where visible smartphones may
not be totally advisable may be especially useful.  Walking or cycling through
with gps in pocket may help determining connectivity.

More here on how to do the datashine maps.
http://oobrien.com/2012/02/reworking-booth-geodemographics-of-housing/

Paul Bivand