Apart from other factors a very strong reason for favouring iD over P2 is
that the latter is Flash-based, It therefore has a degree of in-built
obsolescence, and may not be allowed for security reasons in some
organisations.

iD has been the default editor for a number of years now (just under 3
IIRC), and the bulk of additional code for on-line editors is added to iD,
mainly by MapBox. There have been enhancements to P2 too, but these are
many fewer. So the latter is neither obsolete, nor in an end-of-life stage.
However, when it's end comes it's likely to be swift as flash gets
eliminated by major browsers.

There's still plenty of space for on-line editors (for instance one which
deals with highways, buildings etc as primitive objects rather than OSM
elements as the current ones do): but whether anyone is willing to take on
the odium of maintaining an OSM editor is moot.

Furthermore, editors on mobile devices are much less mature, and there are
substantial potential benefits in reducing or even eliminating the
survey-edit-update cycle.

Jerry