Hi
Alt_name is used for an alternative *official* name, such as a different spelling etc.

In this case loc_name appears more appropriate to me.

DaveF

On 01/06/2017 12:59, Adam Snape wrote:
Hi,

Possibly JOSM does. I used iD for this simple change. Whilst alt_name does seem odd, so would loc_name, so I thought it to be the better of two options.. If there's a consensus in favour of changing I'll happily do so.

Regards,

Adam

On 1 June 2017 at 12:52, Marc Gemis <marc.ge...@gmail.com <mailto:marc.ge...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 12:21 PM, Adam Snape
    <adam.c.sn...@gmail.com <mailto:adam.c.sn...@gmail.com>> wrote:
    > So that map users aren't confused by directions using
    non-existant names,
    > I've changed the Walton Summit example from name to alt_name and
    added a
    > note to explain. I have also changed the section of the M6
    labelled "Preston
    > By-Pass" from name to old_name.

    I thought that when you use a alt_name without a name, JOSM gives
    you a warning.
    which makes sense to me, because you provide an "alternative name" to
    something that does not have a name...

    m.