Carto-CSS without a doubt is the easiest; native Mapnik styles become
cumbersome fairly rapidly.

You will be best off using Kosmtik for visualising the style: see
switch2osm for installation instructions. TileMill only supports an old
version of Mapnik. Andy's instructions for running under Windows (recent
diary post) might also be of interest.

Jerry