0> In article <1535573378846-0.p...@n8.nabble.com>,
0> Richard Fairhurst <URL:mailto:rich...@systemed.net> ("Richard") wrote:

Richard> Toby Speight wrote:
>> That's why we have
>> rendering rules - if you don't like the rendering, change the rules.

Richard> What you're suggesting would imply that every worldwide site using
Richard> OSM data to display a consumer-facing map, or provide routing,
Richard> needs to write a special exception for Great Britain. With the
Richard> best will in the world, that doesn't and isn't going to happen. (I
Richard> think only one such site does so, and it's the one I run!)

Yeah, it seems that most don't make use of country-level tags, and
that's unfortunate: it leads to the situation we have now where every
mini-roundabout also has to have a "direction" tag instead of the router
just reading a country-level tag (hypothetically, "drives_on=left").

I guess the problem is that the API doesn't return enclosing areas like
it returns containing relations, so it's harder to see from a tile what
adminstrative region it's in.

Richard> Dave's edit (minutiae about highway_authority_ref vs
Richard> unsigned_ref vs official_ref aside[1]) brings this country into
Richard> line with how most of the rest of the world does it: the ref=
Richard> tag is for signposted references. See how
Richard> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:ref#Examples_on_ways
Richard> refers to "on the ground", "on the signs", "the usage on the
Richard> signs".

That text appears to be talking about whether refs include spaces or
hyphens, not whether to use ref or another tag (if there is another tag
that's understood worldwide, then it makes sense to do the same - but it
should be listed with Key:ref on the tag wiki so it can be found).