I can only answer for my self. I generally tag these I usually see with a
plain hgv=destination, possibly with maxweight=7.5t. The sign is very rare
without an additional plate allowing for deliveries. I do this largely
because I want to capture the information rather than because it is the
most precise tag. Such restrictions are extremely common in Leicestershire
& Rutland, and very noticeable along the A606.

I believe the 'proper' (i.e., more precise) tagging approach is to use a
conditional restriction, but I'm not sure which property (maxweight or hgv
is most widely used).

A number of other values are present on taginfo.

It may also be useful to map the signs explicitly as this may enable the
actual tagging of the restriction to be refined (made more complex) over
time.

Jerry