On 06/01/2019 09:32, Frederik Ramm wrote:
Hi,

On 1/5/19 9:49 PM, Dave F wrote:
I'm about to do a GB wide edit changing highway=ford (545) to ford=yes
(4814). I know a few contributors like to get upset about wide area
edits, even when they been discussed, so I thought I'd give you a heads up.
It sounds as if you are belittling those who "like to get upset" but at
the same time you're writing your message in a combative and
uncooperative tone that is increasing the likelihood of someone getting
upset!

Well, yes, I suppose I am. I'm gradually becoming irritated by the increasing reluctance (verging on paranoia) to correcting erroneous data. It started as a concern over mass 'bot' edits, but has now spread to any kind of amendments over a certain area. There's more concern over an edit's geographical size than what's actually being edited. That can't be right.

Claims (I'm paraphrasing, but only slightly) such as 'I didn't know about discussions', 'I wasn't involved in those discussions' & 'I want OSM to remain the same as when I first started' are not valid arguments.

Yes, it has been discussed a couple of times on Tagging, & once on
OSM-carto when deciding on the icon to use.
It would be good if you could link to these discussions instead of just
claiming they were had, for the benefit of those who joined between "a
few years ago" and now.

I disagree. I provided evidence of the conclusions of those discussions & indication of which was more popular in Britain. Anyone who has concerns over that could perform their own research. Of course, an easy way to search the archives would be beneficial.

Bye
Frederik