Hi,

As an alternative, I was wondering how acceptable it would be to use the Overpass API to obtain the data? Downloaded data would be cached on the device so for a given area, data would only need to be downloaded once.

I'm fine with such a usage. The fine print is about other issues:

- Overpass API does support GeoJSON indirectly, but GeoJSON does not support EPSG:3857, see

To get GeoJSON I suggest

[out:json];
way(south,west,north,east)[highway];
convert link ::=::,::geom=geom();
out geom;

where (south,west,north,east) is the bounding box.

As an act of courtesy I suggest to set the "Accept-Encoding: deflate, gzip" header and use

[out:json];
way(south,west,north,east)[highway];
if (count(ways) < 20000)
{
  convert link ::=::,::geom=geom();
  out geom;
}
else
{
  make error what="Too many ways in this bounding box";
  out;
}

This compresses the data and bails out if there are more than 20000 ways in the bounding box, corresponding to between 1 MB and 2 MB of data. Overpass would happily deliver about 1 GB per user and day, but the users may have data plans with rather 1 GB per month.

Thanks,
Roland