Hi Dave F

>From my own hour-long chat with a local volunteer manager I inferred two
reasons for steering clear of OSM:
- Unreliable, as you inferred.
- Exposes Sustrans to risk. I wonder if that may be their response to
anything they don't closely control.

I asked whether there was an agreement with OS and was told they have an
agreement to have the NCN listed as a layer on OS mapping (see here
<https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/ncn>).
"If you want to use their more detailed mapping you pay a subscription but
the NCN is mapped just the same."

Who knows if this is a financial agreement, and if so in which direction
the money flows. I'll keep plugging away at that one. (By the by, this may
possibly be connected with Sustrans' recent move to ArcGiS?)

Sustrans appear to have moved the NCN routes off their own site altogether
(perhaps not news to you), and link directly to
osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/ncn. The behaviour is pretty horrible - eg,
can't cope with more than one NCN/LCN route on a given stretch of road,
which the OpenCycleMap layer does very nicely. OTOH there's a link to a
route description and to buy the Sustrans paper map. I've no experience of
these.

I'm sure I'll revert to this topic soon enough. Meanwhile any further
comments gladly received.

Edward