> On 28 Nov 2019, at 10:26, SK53 <sk53....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The big difference of the old Locator layer from ITO is that it displayed the
> name. The other tool which used OS locator is Robert Scott's OSL Musical
> Chairs <https://ris.dev.openstreetmap.org/oslmusicalchairs/map>. Both suffer
> because OS Locator was last released in 2016.

The OS Locator data having last been released in 2016, with no plans to update
to the OS Open Roads mentioned below, and the majority of the UK having street
names. Combined with no new streets ever going to come up, and
demolished/removed street names needing to have the not:name forever more, a
hardware failure, were all contributory factors for the service being
discontinued.

> One way to get potentially missing names is to use OS Open Roads. These are
> big shape files, so its probably best to cut them down using something like
> ogr2ogr, or QGIS. The file can be pulled in as a custom layer in iD, Potlatch
> and as a standard layer in JOSM.

> On 28 Nov 2019, at 10:30, Jez Nicholson <jez.nichol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> As Jerry says, the key feature was that it compared OS road names to OSM and
> highlighted the differences.
>
> The Microsoft Open Data Team recently analysed
> streets-with-no-name-but-lots-of-houses which threw up positive hits, and
> some potentially false positives of new housing estates which do not have
> road names yet and auxiliary service roads.
>
> I'd like to see a new tool be built....i'd also like someone to fund it being
> built and sustain it either through a grant or donated work.

We at Ito are also hopeful that the community would implement new more up to
date tools with a more modern look.

Shaun McDonald
Ito World