On 17/3/20 8:02 am, ael wrote:

I have only just got around to looking in more detail, and discovered
that it is much worse than I had realised: vandalism.

I have taken waypoints on nearly all of the individual stones, and then
refined those positions with waypoint averaging on multiple visits.

In cases like this I would use the source tag on the way so that others have a
very good chance of seeing it and respecting the previous work rather than
simply changing it to what they think it should be.
It is too easy to over look hard work that may have gone into establishing data.
A single GPS trace is fine if that is all there is, better to average many GPS
traces, in some locations I have 50+.