From: Nick Whitelegg
Sent: 13 May 2020 18:08
To: talk-gb@openstreetmap.org <talk-gb@openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Rights of way mapping - making it easy for newcomers to OSM (perhaps!)

Hi,

Just to continue with the theme of rights of way mapping, I've been noticing
that there are still large tracts of England and Wales away from the 'honeypot'
areas with little or now ROW mapping at all meaning there's still quite a big
job to be done.

As you may remember I have been developing a companion app to MapThePaths. In
the first version of this (around two years ago) I experimented with
auto-converting GPX traces to OSM ways. However I was dissatisfied with the
results, the ways generated were really rather nasty and I ended up having to
prettify them significantly in JOSM afterwards, rendering the auto-creation
facility a little pointless. Consequently later versions of the app have
focused on merely presenting the council and OSM data overlaid (like the
website),  with only limited editing facilities, to change the designation of a
path.

However (and I may have mentioned this before, it's been a while) I am
wondering about a 'two-user' approach in which a new user merely does the GPX
survey, using an easy to use UI (a refined version of the MapThePaths app with
the UI re-designed by someone more versed in UX than myself).

They select ROW type and path surface via a nice interface, and then a tagged
GPX trace is generated (which was done by the first version of the app anyway).
This is then uploaded to the MapThePaths server, and volunteer expert users.
Said expert user then downloads the GPX trace and then edits in JOSM, perhaps
via a JOSM plugin - or even directly in the MapThePaths web app. (I am possibly
thinking of adding way creation into the MapThePaths web app anyway, time
depending).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Nick