Ciao Paul
the discussion to have a legal entity to represent/defend/valorize the
work made by the different contributors in Italy has a long story.
We started the discussion with the first OSMIT (the italian conference
dedicated to openstreetmap in Italy) in 2009 (we were less as 50
people)
At the time we discussed to have two directions: create a new
association or have a branch inside an another close to the goals of
openstreetmap .. but  the discussion didn't reach a result.
In 2013, always by OSMIT (around 80 partecipants), we discussed again
about this possibility.
But the proposal was to converge on Wikimedia Italy.
The following month it started a proposal, on this mailing list [0]
In short time different openstreetmap contributors have become members
of the Wikimedia Italy to support this idea.

Now I'm happy to read your email.

Wikimedia Italy has a good reputation in and she created different
interesting projects
This association reached also a lot of different kind of people and
had also the attention of the politicians.
I think that Wikimedia Italia can give more effort to the
OpenStreetMap in our Country.

[0]
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-it/2013-November/039326.html