I really have second thoughts on this issue, you dont care what the machine
time is you care the server time.. The next issue is that there is not a
single article about ATM's failing in San Deigo in a mass scale in 2007.. That
would have been big news..

The guy seems to be real, but the article is a little more fiction..

I would never use the terminals time, it is the time the termial talks to the
base system that is most important which is where when the phones are down
then the ATM's fail..

The codes are not based on GPS they have highly specific clocks, which is the
same technology in the RSA keyrings you can buy. GPS is alot more expensive
than a proper crystal..http://www.rsa.com/node.aspx?id=1311

He also mentioned the ATMS talked wirelessly, SHIT the Military had blocked
that for the prupose of the exersice all wireless communication..

He just went to far in his assumptions that GPS caused the ATM's to fail..

Your cell phone also is not going to fail in the US because of lack of GPS..