> Admin boundaries do not specify any required direction. So there is no
> incompatibility with river centerlines used as admin boundaries. In the same
> way, there is also no incompatibility with one-way road centerlines being
> used as admin boundaries too.
Thanks Eugene for this clarification.

> It started me thinking though. If you were able to get the elevation data for
> the
> start point and end point of a waterway, you could probably work out the
> direction
> of flow from that, and apply it automagically.
What we do in JOSM is to add the OpenCycleMap layer as another background layer
to determine the highest point and use the Bing imagery to trace the waterways.

> tidal estuary
For tidal estuaries like those in Bulacan, Pampanga and north Metro
Manila, I agree this
is difficult. But in most cases, we assume the water drains towards
the sea as Rem suggested.

--
cheers,
maning