While we could do it with relations, the dual-carriageway model might not be
the best starting point, since I don't think we'll ever need to set railways
up for routing programs to use. Nine months in, I can get my head round
route relations and turning-restriction relations, but I struggle a bit with
the value of relations to group parallel ways - it seems a complexity too
far for the purpose (and I don't see much evidence of renderers making use
of it to render dual carriageways).

If tracks are notably more than the standard ~3m between track centres, then
map them as single lines (tracks=1), as soon as they diverge. It's the
renderers job to smooth the transition from tracks=2 to tracks=1.

I'd do any pointwork as single lines, switching from 2xtracks=1of2 to
1xtracks=2 at some convenient point away from the junction where track
separation is roughly standard (and let the renderer worry about making the
transition seamless). Or just ignore pointwork for the moment.

I think in time, people will map individual tracks separately. But there
needs to be the ability to have a single way as a first step (not least to
make it backwards-compatible), and not to make it too difficult to add
descriptive detail (how many tracks, whether it is electrified, whether it
has passenger services, whether it has fast services, whether it has
fast/highspeed lines, whether it has freight lines). This is the sort of
information that makes sense at low zooms. Separately, you might want to add
the services as relations, so you can put together something more akin to
the operator's maps, at a higher zoom.

Richard
On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Peter Miller <peter.mil...@itoworld.com>wrote:

> On 22 Jun 2009, at 07:51, Jochen Topf wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 05:09:35PM +0100, Richard Mann wrote:
>>
>>> No, simpler than that:
>>>
>>> tracks=1 => render a single line at all zooms
>>> tracks=2 => render a double line at all zooms
>>> tracks=X => render a multiple line with X tracks at all zooms
>>> tracks=1ofX => render a single line at high zooms, but render as if