On 28 Sep 2009, at 14:58, Frankie Roberto wrote:

Jerry wrote:

I've just noticed that the relations for stop places generated in the NaPTAN import do not have a type. I just happened to be browsing through some KeepRight issues and noticed a number of relation without type ones.

I think the consensus is that these should become type=site. This can be made more specific by either using site=* (eg site=railway_station) and/or traditional tags like railway=station and amenity=bus_station.

Firstly I suggest we stick with Stop Area and not use Stop Place. Stop Place is more correct from a CEN standards perspective but Stop Area is very much adopted.

I think the site approach makes a lot of sense and it would be straightforward to migrate to this over time.

Peter Miller wrote:

I noticed yesterday that the public transport article[1] is still linking to 'User:Oxomoa/Public transport schema' article for tagging information even though this is a personal page and therefore not something that others should touch.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Tirkon seems to have moved the content from "Public transport" into "Public Transport", which was a pre-existing page that linked to Oxomoa's proposal. I'm guessing that this is to better link it to the DE:Public Transport page. I can't remember what we decided about capitalisation conventions (I think we'd said it was worth following the Wikipedia- like "Public transport" style), so it might be worth reversing these redirects.

The guidelines page recommends using Wikipedia convention. He also broke a number of redirects which are now double redirects. Can I suggest you 'propose' a move back and that you put your reasons on the talk page to avoid a wiki-war. It would have been polite for the person to have proposed the move in the first place of course.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wiki_guidelines

I have developed a Stop Area article[2] based on Oxomoa's proposal and which also included feedback from CEN. It is currently available as a 'proposed feature'. however it should in general echo current practice. Would it be appropriate to now move it into the main name- space and use it as the primary overview article for stations, bus stops etc?

I've been trying to slowly copy some of ideas from your proposal (and other conventions in use) into the Public transport page, and the various mode pages (eg Railways), as well as creating tag- specific pages where appropriate (eg Tag:route=railway). I think this is probably a better approach than trying to have one uber- proposal.

To be clear, it is only a proposal for Stop Areas, not for everything to do with public transport, but it could also sit in the relevant articles and fade away over time. I do however think it is useful to have a simple table giving the tags for an 'access' for each transport mode. The discussion sections would of course all be moved to the talk page so the article itself would shrink a lot.

If so should we just do it or do a formal vote first. Given that it is actually now a summary of current practice I would recommend moving it without voting but would be happy to follow the majority view. Thoughts please!

Agreed we don't need a vote. Community consensus, and working examples, are much more important.

Possibly we move it from proposals to the main section and then consider what it's future will be. I would however suggest that we discourage any links to the 'old' proposals, including unified_stop_area and Oxomoa's proposal except for historical background. Possibly we need to get the Germans on board for this since they seem keen on linking to Oxomoa's proposal.

Regards,

Peter

Frankie

--