Hi,

> 1. Position of tag railway=station
> There are currently two approaches [1]:
> (i) on a node within the main concourse area
> (ii) on an area encompassing the land used for passenger services (including
> any concourse, platforms and associated tracks)

I strongly opt for (i). As you have mentioned, for both the exact placment is
subjective. But the single node is far easier to understand and handle for
mappers.

For example, you could tell a mapper that the node is the location where label
is placed. By contrast, to start a mapper's introduction with a lengthy
explanation of the computation of a centroid is not practical.

If you want a really precise station description, I would go towards indoor
mapping, see
http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Indoor_Mapping
In-station navigation could be a strength of OSM if enough stations are
mapped.

> N.B. A third approach is presented on the wiki [2]: tagging the building.
> This approach seems not appropriate, since the bulding(s) often doesn't
> cover the whole station surface (e.g. platform area). Maybe it could be
> removed frome the wiki ?

Yes, remove it from the wiki. A lot of stations even don't have a building.

> 2. Use of public_transport=station
> This is a much debated point:
[...]
> (ii) public_transport=station should be added to the one object that is
> tagged railway=station, since these tags are synonymous
[...]
> Same question: is there one of these four approaches that should be favoured
> ?

Clearly (ii) is the best choice. Even the public transport proposal states
that the tags should be used alongside the existing tags. In general, a mapper
and also a tool would usually just left aside unknown tags, so (ii) keeps
tools working regarless on what tagging they depend.

Having two distinct objects would be difficult to understand, because which
object you get will then depend on the tools syntax (either one of them or
both), and nobody expects a second difficult-to-find shadow object to exist.

Cheers,

Roland