The label role would be a solution, but unfortunately it isn't supported by
the major renderers (afaik). So for the moment we stick with having the
tags on the label node. Since the label is usually fairly obvious, having
separate node and area doesn't usually create too many problems.

So the main reason for change would be to fit in with a some mappers desire
for everything to be tied up neatly in relations. That's not really a good
enough reason. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Richard