On 07-05-19 15:29, Dave F via Talk-transit wrote:
On 06/05/2019 19:53, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
On 2019-05-03 12:09, Dave F via Talk-transit wrote:

This reinforces my point about misappropriation of tags. A platform is
a physical construction higher than the surrounding ground to allow
easier boarding.

It's a logical platform whether it physically exists or not.

<smiles> A 'logical platform'?

 From OSM's main welcome page:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/welcome
"OpenStreetMap is a place for mapping things that are both /real and current/"

"What it /doesn't/ include is... hypothetical features,"

a "public_transport=platform" is not defined as being "platform" (raised good concrete flooring) but as "the place where people wait to board a bus/tram/train". Whatever form that is.

It is not uncommon for key/values to be misnomers in OSM. Clearest example is private-access ways being tagged as highway=* (plus access=no) which is a misnomer in British English (which we use), as highways are public-access roads by legal definition. (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway#Terminology)

  It's pretty well established that using a platform node for a mere pole is valid.

But you're mapping them as areas.
As bus stop tags are by far the more established, why not use that to map a."mere pole".

This is circular reasoning. We can't use the new thing because the old thing is much more usual. Besides, the new thing (public_transport=platform in PTv2) has been voted on in 2011, with overwhelming majority (83 to 6)

 From the bus stop wiki page:
"A bus stop is a place where passengers can board or alight from a bus."
Which is what you're claiming platform areas are. As I said it's pure duplication.

No, changing of tagging, not replication.
There is no need to map with highway=bus_stop anymore (save for rendering on osm_carto)

  People wait there to be picked up, regardless of the actual surface type (which can change over time anyway).

Unsure why you believe surface is relevant, but as I said, your examples of platforms are imaginary, inaccurate & arbitrary.

He says the surface is irrelevant (regardless).
I find it a losing argument by saying Stephen's examples are "imaginary, inaccurate and arbritary"?, even when he hardly gives an example in the post you quote.

A platform:
https://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/04/76/30/4763016_2416f5ee.jpg

Not a platform:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/38/90/a0/3890a0f451e1a6900d174b29125b3c80.jpg

That is a "place where people wait to board" (or in this instance, where people just alighted)

If (& I believe it's a big if), a separate tag is required to as you &
Markus suggest, one with a unique, non-confusing value should be used.

Many public_transport=platform are tagged on the same node as
highway=bus_stop. They have no raised construction Therefore they're
redundant - routing can use the bus stop tag for the "stop node beside
the
road" as Markus described it.:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/469760546#map=19/51.51026/-0.18630

The reason double tagging exists, is that public_transport=platform isn't rendered yet.

I'd be fine with saying that highway=bus_stop implies public_transport=platform, except that some mappers put bus stops on the way instead of beside the way and argue with anyone who tries to fix them, so in those areas, separate nodes for the platform had to be added.

 From the bus stop wiki page:
"The highway=bus_stop tag is widely used on a node off *to one side of the highway way* to identify the position where passengers wait for a bus beside the carriageway."

However, is it essential that highway=bus_stop is/isn't on a way? Routers should be able to adapt to both scenarios.

We can put everything in the hands of routers. Maybe we should expect routers to take account for misspellings as well? It would be easier for the mapping community AND the routers if we could decide on one uniform scheme.

Ditto for railway=platform implying public_transport=platform
railway=platform implies no such thing. It represents a physical object, nothing more, nothing less.

What physical object?
What if there is a railway station that has no raised platform but where one just alights into the trackbed? What physical object is there?
e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Padag_Road_railway_station
The sand there is the "place where people wait to board", which could be mapped as railway=platform or public_transport is platform, but not in YOUR view, as there is no physical "platform", no raised object.

From what I've seen public_transport=platform was conceived as purely a duplicating tag to 'collect things together'.

To unify. Not to duplicate. It would replace the railway=platform or the highway=bus_stop.