From: will law <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Karl Newman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: talk-us@openstreetmap.org
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:08:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Bicycle facility tags (Class III "bike route")

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Karl Newman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 4:11 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Class I is the separated bike path, with a physical separation between the
bicycle path and vehicle traffic, or on a route which other vehicle traffic
doesn't follwo.  This one is easy, you trace in the path, and make it
highway=cycleway; cycleway=track.  It's just the same as drawing in separate
roads for divided roads.

Class II is the bike lane with its own lane markings, but it is immediately
adjacent the vehicle lanes.  This also seems to be pretty clear: just add a
cycleway=lane tag to the road it is part of, right?

Class III is a "shared use" facility with the cars, it just has the green
"bicycle route" signs occasionally.  Hopefully it has a wide outside lane, but
not always.  How do you put this one in?  do you add a bicycle=designated tag
to the road, or what?

I have been classifying Class I & II cycleways in San Francisco using the above
method.  I haven't got on to the Class III type but bicycle=designated seems
appropriate to me.

I think your suggestions line up with how I would tag it, too. I'm curious
where you heard about the Class I, II, III designations, though. I'm a
California native and occasional bike rider and I've never heard of these.

Karl

Here's the detail on their classification in California.  I'm not sure if the
same is used elsewhere in the US though:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=shc&group=00001-01000&file=890-894.2

Will