On 09/08/2009 02:19 PM, Paul Fox wrote:
>  > and that
>  > most true dirt roads are unnamed.
>
> perhaps.  but i'd say that's mostly only true if they're not
> publicly accessible.  any sort of public right-of-way usually
> comes with at least a locally-assigned number:  "Forest Route NN",
> or "Fire Road NN", or "County Road NNN".

in OSM that's ref=* not name=*

>  > And finally I would agree with you that regardless of their relative
>  > numbers, true dirt roads (not gravel) as described at
>  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirt_road should indeed be highway=track.
>
> no, i don't agree.  as greg troxel (i think) said earlier, the
> term "track" implies a private right-of-way.

That’s not correct, and is not what he said.  He said, ”highway=track,
on the other hand, seems definitely second-class ... if someone lives on
a track, their address will be a value on the real road the track
connects to.”

While generally the case, this is not a defining characteristic of a
track, and says nothing at all about whether it’s access=private.

> there are many many
> dirt roads in my travels that are better described
> "highway=residential surface=unpaved", due both to their public nature,
> and the presence of multiple residences.

Then describe them as such (though surface=dirt might be better).  But
their public nature has nothing to do with it.  We have access=* to
describe that. was only saying that *in general*, gravel roads are not
highway=track, while *in general* dirt roads are.  It’s a rule of thumb,
not an absolute.

Obviously there are exceptions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DirtRoadCows.jpg should probably be
highway=unclassified, and