On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 12:29 PM, Lord-Castillo, Brett
<blord-casti...@stlouisco.com> wrote:
> Just wondering what would be the purpose of mapping civil defense sirens?

Because they are there isn't a good enough reason?

> You have to make some significant decisions of what kind of information to
> include about the sirens (for example, without range and/or model, you cannot
> derive projected coverage; without directional coverage you cannot identify
> nearest covering siren).

Right now I'm just interested in where they are... More information is
welcome but obviously that can be more difficult to obtain.

> Sirens are also one of those areas (like mapping major pipelines) that do
> fall under homeland security protections for sunshine laws.

Without some proof I call FUD.  Anyway, sunshine laws are for
governments, not for individual citizens.  I'm not expecting people to
drop in on the local emergency management agency and ask for a map of
all the sirens...

> Some jurisdictions (mostly cities) are open with their siren locations, some
> of them are very protective (mostly those places whose sirens have been
> subjected to attacks by siren hackers in the past or who have particularly
> significant security concerns).

I don't see how mapping sirens really increases the security
concerns...  Most civil defense sirens near me are mounted on tall
towers and advertise their location quite loudly on a regular basis.
The ones that I have mapped recently have no physical protection
either, not even a fence around it (except one that is literally in
someone's back yard).

> Mapping site specific sirens (like those used for electric generation
> facilities) can especially draw scrutiny.

Well, hanging around an electric generation plant and surveiling it is
likely to draw scrutiny no matter what you are looking for.

> As for the feasibility, I recently did a project to map 210 sirens from
> aerial photos and ground work, and it was virtually impossible without prior
> knowledge of the siren locations and high resolution aerial oblique photos.
> In all, it took about 60 hours of work (and that was with a list of
> locations).

Hey, I'm not expecting miracles!  I was really expecting people to
take a walk around their neighborhood and note the locations of the
sirens, much like they map their favorite pub.  Eventually we'll get
them all...

--
Jeff Ollie