On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Lars Ahlzen <l...@ahlzen.com> wrote:

> Anyway, I've been trying to clean up the airports a bit in my state, and
> I would very much like to see some form of classification like what you
> originally suggested.

Looks like there are multiple, conflicting classifications
internationally.  Rather than creating another arbitrary
classification and the international incidents that can come along
with that, what about classifying by runway length?  Once a runway is
added to the db, can you not determine the length of the runway and
select a suitable rendering rule based on that?  Certainly a local
renderer can choose to do that.  A wee bit of pre-processing would let
you start from runway length and assign an arbitrary classification of
your choice to make your rendering simpler.

For how many / what percentage of airfields would runway length not be
sufficient to establish "prominence"?