On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:06 PM, Zeke Farwell <ezeki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Classifying by runway length does make some sense to me,  but I really have
> no idea how Mapnik or any other renderer works.  Not sure if this would in
> fact be easy or not.  It also means a renderer needs the runway tagged as a
> way or polygon in order to make a decision.  What is a renderer to do with
> the many small airstrips that are just tagged with a node?  Should it just
> assume that they are minor and only render them at a low zoom?  This could
> work….

That already happens for some items in OSM.

In the OSM mapnik style nodes and ways are treated individually.  For example

>From my mapnik rules[1]:
place_of_worship polygons are rendered up to scale 1:750,000
place_of_worship points are rendered up to scale 1:12,500

parking polygons are rendered up to scale 1:750,000
parking points are rendered up to scale 1:25,000

[1] these might not be identical to the current rules on OSM but are
illustrative.