Alan, and I think some others, presented pictures of signs where the
directional was closely associated with the address range.  I agree
with them that in those cases there is a strong implication that the
directional is not necessarily part of the street name.  Attached are
some examples (only one attached now, others were too big) where I
feel that implication is not present.  Note that the directionals are
no where near the address ranges, and in one case the directional is
the same size as the rest of the street name.  Also note that these
are not streets where "N <name>" and "S <name>" run parallel to each
other (i.e. the intersection test would suggest that the directionals
be removed).  For example, at some point N Wilson just becomes S
Wilson.  Also, local residents, businesses and governments sometime
include those directionals when referring to those streets (but not
necessarily all of the time, again, we all like to use short hand at
times when communicating).

Kevin has sparked a very good debate on this subject.  A number of you
have convinced me that in some parts of the country TIGER has rather
arbitrarily inserted directionals, and that in these cases they should
be removed from the name tag.  I still feel in other areas the
directionals should remain.

Thanks