Yeah... consensus would be great but seems to be rather elusive.

Here is a case in point. Another mapper has been tagging ways on
Kansas highways as "K-xx" which is how people usually pronounce it.
Street signs usually just have the number inside of the sunflower logo
without any kind of lettering like this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3412/3667822945_b4606af872.jpg

I have been tagging them as "KS xx" which on Mapquest gets rendered as
just the number. The "K-xx" ways don't get the K stripped off though
so it is inconsistent. You can see both versions here:

http://open.mapquest.com/link/4-OcIUELMD

Highway 14 was tagged by me and 171 was done by the other mapper.

I personally prefer "KS xx" and if this were applied consistently,
data consumers could count on that format and strip things off,
replace them with "SR" or whatever they want to do.

Toby