Hi Y'all,

So first: a new extraact is attached with...

- Dupes removed.
- GNIS names fixed.
- One file per export.

http://dev.x-plane.com/download/01090001.zip

(Be sure to nuke caches to get the build from today's date...)

On 4/29/11 9:51 AM, James Umbanhowar wrote:

2.  You should use one file per attribute.  If you are using Ian's shp-to-osm
tool, crank up the changeset size to some very large value to accomplish this.

That seems to work so far...I had to boost heap size to cope with the flow line files.

3.  Duplicate nodes need to be merged, especially in the flowline files.  The
data currently have duplicate nodes a every point where one reach intersects
another.  This creates many duplicate nodes.  The Corine data import folks
wrote a java tool to remove these
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Corine_Land_Cover/Corine_Data_Import)
which I use to remove the duplicate nodes.

With some modification, that seems to have worked.

4.  The conversion rules you are using seem to have a lot of issues.  I see
some of these on the default rules for shp-to-osm wiki page and I have
corrected them where I see them, but others I can't identify their source:

So first, those rules did come off the wiki. For some reason, capitalization in the shapefiles is...a bit funky. I tried to fix some, but may have missed them.

The GNIS names are just me being stupid - I fixed all capitalization issues except for that one. The other issues (specific codes) are due to the limits of the rule set I took.

Since the posted sub-basin dump has the original .shp files, would it be simpler for you to simply correct the rules and then send me back the rule sheet you used for inclusion directly in my process?

        f.  It would probably be good to have a discussion of how much of the
additional NHD/GNIS tags we want to import.  I think we should import the
FCODE and

That's beyond my pay grade...I'll trust whatever y'all come up with. :-)

        g.  In points and lines files there were many things that had no osm
tags
including gauging stations and nonearthen shores.  We should not import things
that have no osm tags.

Hrm...interesting. The tools don't currently strip untagged data, do they? Is there an existing tool that strips 'null' data?

5.  Once we set this up, we'll need to give a fair bit of guidance on what
sorts of things to look for.  One thing that is quite tricky is importing
coastline.  One has to make sure that you delete all the previously existing
coastline in the area and to connect the new coastline at the edges of its
extent.  Given the poor resolution of the PGS and the general disagreement
between it and USGS on whether tidal riverbanks are coastline or not this can
be quite a bit of work.

Right...I would go a step further and say that I'd be terrified of the results of users attempting to use these extracts to create coastline without a lot of experience. In some cases, the cut-over where OSM switches from coastline edge marking to closed water bodies might not be in the same place as NHD.

cheers
ben

--
Scenery Home Page: http://scenery.x-plane.com/