On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 4:08 AM, James Mast <rickmastfa...@hotmail.com>wrote:

>  I just happened to notice this guy tonight was going around and editing
> the "ref" tags on highways in the US just to replace the space and put in
> the hyphen.

There's actually a sensible reason for this, at least for Interstate
highways:
<http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/htm/2009/part2/part2a.htm>
Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Section 2A.13, guidance paragraph
9:
"When an Interstate route is displayed in text form instead of using the
route shield, a hyphen should be used for clarity, such as "I-50.""

Of course, this applies to road signs and not maps, but I still count this
as precedence.  Renderers should ideally tolerate ref tags of the form
"I-50".

--
David "Smith"
a.k.a. Vid the Kid