On Sun, 2011-09-11 at 03:33 -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On 9/11/2011 3:12 AM, Toby Murray wrote:
> > Re: Kansas
> >
> > "Every person riding a bicycle upon a roadway shall be granted all of
> > the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the
> > driver of a vehicle ..."
>
> So you turn into the driveway and switch to pedestrian mode at the
> instant you cross the sidewalk, and are therefore no longer upon a
> roadway :)
>
> Seriously, I'd say this is probably a very gray area of the law. I'm
> sure there are many streets that are marked 'no thru traffic' but are
> inventoried if not signed as parts of a medium-distance bike route. So a
> bike router is probably better-off ignoring access=destination in
> general, unless the user specifies that he wants to follow the letter of
> the law.

Beaverton, Oregon, in all their wisdom, likes to post roads as "DEAD
END" or "NO OUTLET" when it clearly does have an outlet, just not for
motor vehicles.  It's rather annoying if you're not closely familiar
with a part of town and trying to follow someone else's directions,
since NO OUTLET means you're about to go enter a pocket neighborhood of
nothing but dead end streets, and DEAD END terminates, not always with a
cul-de-sac.  It's one of the many little things that it so I can't wait
to GTFO of Oregon again.