At 2011-10-04 18:38, Ian Dees wrote:
When I use addr:street I put the entire street's name in the field.

Breaking apart that street name into pieces is the job of other tags, I would imagine.

I proposed, and have widely used addr:street_direction_prefix for the cardinal direction of addr:housenumber along addr:street. I've also used addr:suite when needed.

Example 1: when there is one Main Street that runs predominantly N/S, "123 North Main Street" is tagged:

addr:housenumber=123
addr:street_direction_prefix=N
addr:street=Main Street

Example 2: When there are two separate Vermont Avenues that run predominantly N/S and parallel to each other, "123 West Vermont Avenue" is tagged:
addr:housenumber=123
addr:street=West Vermont Avenue

In this particular case in Los Angeles, the Vermont Avenue right-of-way was split to put a rail system down the middle, creating a southbound "West Vermont Avenue" and a northbound "East Vermont Avenue".

I'd like to see some kind of indicator to show that the second case is correct (i.e. the direction is really part of the street name) instead of just being an instance that hasn't been properly analyzed yet. I had proposed making the addr:street tag contain the full prefix+root+type+suffix and then using addr:street_* tags for the individual components, the presence of any of which would indicate that the name had been properly analyzed.

I understand the arguments that this can be complicated to explain/use/enforce. Not sure what to do about that. I don't think it's rocket science. There are days when I think we should expect more. Then again, on days when I can't read 3 "professional" 300-word news stories without finding 10 mistakes...

--
Alan Mintz <alan_mintz+...@earthlink.net>