What about actually doing the entry while you are in the car?

My first job after college was to map every house in a county.  (Wayne
County, Indiana for those that are curious) The set-up was to use GPS
with a computer and to map the addresses as you went.  We were already
starting with the county's master address list, but I don't see how
this would be different.

The only entire suburban neighborhood I mapped was my own. Can't say
it was that much fun, but I'd just get another string of addresses
everyday on the way to work and enter them that night.  I didn't end
up with that much data at any one time, but it did take a long time to
complete.

-Kate