On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Serge Wroclawski <emac...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The other point that's being missed is that we as a community already
> accept an error rate in our data that's far larger than any potential
> mistake rate on a well written script. If the script makes one error
> in 1000 streets, it will be doing a better job than a vast majority of
> manual mappers, and like manual mappers, they can be corrected.

If someone manually expanded 1,000,000 street name abbreviations, and
made 1,000 mistakes, it would not be acceptable.

If they were doing something more useful than expanding street name
abbreviations, fine.  But expanding street name abbreviations,
according to a very simple heuristic which can easily be done at the
preprocessing stage, is not very useful.

If this is going to be done, I hope the error rate is much smaller
than 1 in 1,000.