On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 9:10 AM, Richard Weait <rich...@weait.com> wrote:

> The previous bots were shouted down and all took the approach of
> finding things to change, then changing them.  This sounds like a
> similar approach.

That is not the case. In one of the bots, one error was found, and the
author decided not to continue. I don't think either of us knows about
the others.

> Is there any benefit to finding the subtle, problematic abbreviations
> and highlighting them for manual intervention?

We're not talking about all abbreviations, but rather just:

1. Abbreviations in the TIGER dataset (not ones entered manually).

2. A limited set of abbreviations set in the dataset, which discusses
road "type"- that is Road, Lane, Parkway, etc. We're not talking about
expanding other possible expansions or making other automated
corrections.

>  Sort of an error
> overlay in the OSMI style, that highlights future expansion problems?

There are things that computers are bad at that people are good at,
and there are things computers are good at which people are bad at.
Computers are good at making set changes to data. They're better and
faster at it than any human.

The other point that's being missed is that we as a community already
accept an error rate in our data that's far larger than any potential
mistake rate on a well written script. If the script makes one error
in 1000 streets, it will be doing a better job than a vast majority of
manual mappers, and like manual mappers, they can be corrected.

The only reason to introduce an overlay is when the problem is not
easily solvable by computer, then we introduce augmented tools. But
it's a waste of human effort to have people like me spending hours (as
I have done) going through and manually typing "Road" over ways.

Add to that that we're not talking about a small number of streets,
but in fact the vast majority (>99%) of streets in the densest part of
the US, the East Coast, moving toward the Center (since the West Coast
has already been fixed).

> Many contributors wrote:
>
> "Yay!  I can haz 'Bots pleez!?!?"  :-)

Richard, I think you're capable of making your point without being
demeaning, please prove me right in your next email.

- Serge