On 5/1/2012 1:23 PM, Anthony wrote:
On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Nathan Edgars II<nerou...@gmail.com>  wrote:
On 5/1/2012 12:59 PM, Anthony wrote:

Automatically expanding abbreviations is a terrible idea.  If an
abbreviation is unambiguous, then it can be expanded during the
preprocessing step.  If, on the other hand, it is ambiguous, then you
are turning ambiguous data into incorrect data, which certainly
diminishes the data.

Not quite. We have various TIGER tags that break the name into pieces, and
allow automated expansion where the name field may be ambiguous. (Though
occasionally these tags are wrong.)

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with.  Either it is unambiguous
(due to TIGER tags or whatever), and therefore can be done during the
preprocessing step.  Or it is ambiguous, and needs human
intervention/review.

The TIGER tags are not exactly standard OSM tags that belong in the database. Better that we get rid of them at the same time as we expand abbreviations.