Given what I've observed and heard about from other mappers, I am not
particularly surprised to hear that the DWG has been getting complaints
(although I have not filed a complaint myself).  I think it's helpful to
talk about the general problem, separately from any identities.

My impression is that a fair part of the genesis of the issue is
disagreement about tagging highways.  We have an established, older view
that primary is for US highways or roads that are as important
culturally, secondary is for state highways or roads of similar
importance, and tertiary for roads that are less important than
secondary but that form a key part of the interconnecting grid (between
towns, across cities).  There is another view which promotes labeling
roads at higher classifications.

Given that, I think there are two problems that arise in terms of how
people collaborate (or not) on how to improve the map.  OSM is
fundamentally a group effort and how people feel about their
participation and interaction with others is very important for the
health of the project.

First, there's the notion that the local mappers should have priority in
deciding how things should be tagged.  I don't mean that one shouldn't
make non-local edits - I do that after visiting places.  But I don't
make edits that I think a local might object to.  When I see something
done by a local mapper that I think should be different, I message them
and ask about it (and sometimes go ahead if I don't hear back).  I've
met a fair number of the active people in Massachusetts in person, and
talked with several others in email.  We confer among ourselves
sometimes, and have in the past discussed issues with non-local mappers
adjusting tagging.  We also had the "highway=path foot=designated vs
highway=footway" discussion over beer, pleasantly (regarding differing
choices among local mappers, which I am quite sure DWG never heard
complaints about).

Second, there's a slippery slope to what "edit war" means.  Generally,
it takes two to have an edit war, and for that to happen, both have to
be willing to keep making the change, which is a combination of doing
that even though they should realize it's getting to edit war, and
caring enough to put energy into it, instead of deciding to focus on
other hobbies.  So if there's a disagreement, and the results lopsidedly
reflect one user's view just because that user is far more insistent on
making changes and arguing about them, that's a bad outcome, and in my
mind just as bad as an edit war if not worse, just less obvious.

So overall, I would say that if user A complains about user B making
non-local objectionable changes, and that's the only complaint, then
it's really hard to tell.  It could be that the non-local user in some
cases is right in a sense (consider bringing a jury of 6 seasoned
mappers to the area for a survey and pub discussion about what they'd
do, and see how that comes out).  Many of these calls are not
particularly important in the grand scheme of things; local users
feeling like someone far away is being pushy has a bigger impact on the
project.  On the other hand, If 20 users (not acting in concert) all
complain similarly about B, then there really is a problem -- most
people don't want to complain to authority in a group like osm, so if 20
complain probably 100 feel that way.  Reasonable people, more or less by
definition, do not provoke complaints by large numbers of other
reasonable people.

A serious concern is people being driven away because they find
participating in the community unpleasant; this is the concept in open
source of "poisonous people".  I've certainly run into this a bit in
openstreetmap.  In the open source world (I participate in NetBSD), it
seems that people who know each other in person are much more likely to
be reasonable on the net.  The local group concept helps greatly, but it
doesn't address the distant armchair editor (especially if that person
isn't part of his or her in-person community).

All that said, it's not clear that the DWG is the right group.  But I
think OSM needs a body of elders (who have the respect of the community
as reasonable and fair people) to deal with complaints of behavior that
doesn't meet community interaction norms.  I certainly don't want to
endorse some sort of global thought police, and would want such an
authority to tread lightly.  But the fact that the DWG is moved to write
to talk-us "has had a high number of complaints about a small number of
mappers" indicates to me that we have a significant social problem, and
as I see it DWG is the least inappropriate WG to handle it.

Greg (osm user gdt)