!i! wrote:
> Hi, one last personal note on the mapathon and a big thank you
> (literally): http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/!i!/diary/18132

And thank you, too. I've always been sceptical about this sort of event - my
vision for OSM is that we need more contributors with local knowledge, not
more "remote mapping" - but in hindsight I think this, and MapRoulette, are
showing some really interesting ways forward. By applying the OSM community
to a problem in Mechanical Turk fashion, we're able to achieve much better
results than an unthinking import or automated edit would do.

Give the OSM community a task and it will carry it out much better than
you'd imagine. There's lots we can learn from that.

cheers
Richard