> From: Alex Barth [mailto:a...@mapbox.com]
> Subject: Re: [Talk-us] MassGIS building conversion
>
> Hi Paul -
>
> On Dec 10, 2012, at 6:06 PM, Paul Norman <penor...@mac.com> wrote:
> >
> > Any future work with the data after it's imported will have to handle
> > buildings without IDs. I included IDs in two of my imports and have
> > found them useless. I think that without a clear plan to use them
> > (i.e. one with
> > code) you shouldn't be including government department specific
> > metadata like this.
>
> How specifically did you find them useless? I mean was it just that to
> your knowledge nobody's using them or is there something inherently
> broken in the case of your imports (e. g. those id's change outside of
> OSM and hence can't be used as reference).

Neither, and it's nothing specific to my imports. Any update strategy has to
be able to handle the case where objects are created in OSM without the IDs
or the IDs get broken in OSM because they can't be verified. Because
anything you do has to handle the case of no IDs, what's the point of them?

Lots of people include IDs because they think they might be useful but very
seldom are they actually used.