* Eric H. Christensen <e...@christensenplace.us> [2012-12-11 21:24 -0500]:
> Is there a good way to make the PGS-sourced data match the Tiger data in
> certain areas to improve the accuracy?

If you use JOSM, the ContourMerge plugin is very helpful here.  You can
select nodes on each of the TIGER and PGS ways near where they diverge
from each other and then drag the coastline onto the administrative
boundary.  Be aware that both the TIGER and PGS imports periodically split
ways to keep them from getting too long, so you might have to do the
merging in several places along the full length of the overlap.

Even the TIGER data isn't perfect (though it's far better than PGS, at
least in Maryland), so what I like to do it use the JOSM
ImproveWayAccuracy plugin to align the administrative boundary to aerial
imagery and then use the ContourMerge plugin to overlap the coastline
ways.  If there's no administrative boundary, I just use the
ImproveWayAccuracy plugin on the coastline ways directly.

On a side note, Anne Arundel County is kind enough to put their geodata
into the public domain, plus they've got an ArcGIS REST server at
http://gis-world.aacounty.org/ArcGIS/rest/services/ .  I find their
basemap, parcel, and orthoimagery layers to be very useful (although JOSM
can't use them directly, as far as I know; I use tilestache to go between
JOSM's tile underlays and the ArcGIS REST interface).