Ngày 2013-01-09 5:30 AM, Kevin Kenny viết:
On 01/09/2013 03:24 AM, Minh Nguyen wrote:

While filling in townships in the Greater Cincinnati area, I've also
been working on TIGER's rather artful interpretation of the area's
municipal boundaries, motivated by the Mapnik style's prominent
rendering of them. The boundaries are full of things like triangular
enclave artifacts and diagonal jogs right through residential lots.

Around here, for municipal boundaries to cut diagonally through
residential lots isn't uncommon. I once lived in a house where
the front yard was in one township and the back yard in another.
Two separate tax bills (although the second one was cheap because
there were no improvements to that part of the lot).

Sure, where in doubt, I leave it untouched. I've been working in townships that use the Public Land Survey System, but I'll have to be more careful in nearby townships that use metes and bounds, for instance.

In Ohio, it's also possible for a parcel to simultaneously lie within a township and a city that has otherwise withdrawn from the township. (Picture the intersection in a Venn diagram.) The parcel's owner gets to vote for two councils -- and contribute to the salaries of both.

--
Minh Nguyen <m...@1ec5.org>
Jabber: m...@1ec5.org; Blog: http://notes.1ec5.org/