From: Richard Welty [mailto:rwe...@averillpark.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2013 1:38 PM
To: talk-us@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [Talk-us] key source:maxspeed

On 3/21/13 1:30 PM, Toby Murray wrote:

> Here in the U.S. such implicit speed limits are fairly rare except
> within cities where most residential roads are assumed to be 30 mph.
> All highways here are explicitly signed with the applicable speed
> limit so the established use of the source:maxspeed tag doesn't really
> make sense to most Americans.

again, not safe to generalize.

per NYS law, all roads not otherwise posted are 55mph. virtually all local
governments then set speed limits one way or another, either by posting at
the admin boundary, by "area speed limit" signs, or just by putting speed
limit signs on all the roads.

not 1/2 mile from my house, there's a county road with a sign saying "End 35
MPH", which in NYS law means start a 55 mph limit. these are not uncommon in
this state, although there is a trend away from the usage.

richard